From:
John Caldeira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2011 01:47:35 -0700
I have a rather urgent issue that needs your scientific and practical
advice.   Here in Fiji, we have had AFB for at least 25 years, and probably much
longer.   However, the government Department of Agriculture's practice is
to burn any hive that has proven to have AFB spores as identified in a
laboratory, EVEN IF THE HIVE APPEARS HEALTHY.

Does this government policy make good sense?  If not, I'd really appreciate some
supporting documentation that this practice is unncessarily wasteful.  What is a
better governmental or beekeeper policy?

My personal, unscientific,  belief is that all colonies have a low level of
spores, but the disease only becomes problemic under certain conditions.  I have
no documentation on this so my position is weak.

Sincerely,
John Caldeira
Beekeeping Trainer

PO Box 224, Rakiraki, Ra, Fiji Islands