Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1993 09:59:00 GMT
Hi all..
The following is an extract from 'Beekeepers News' published by E.H. Thorne
(Beehives Ltd, Wragby, Lincoln, LN3 5LA, England., Vol 5888 Jan. 93)

"At last years National Honey Show we discovered from beekeepers on Jersey
that the Channel Islands had been infected with Varroa by the mite travelling
on colonies of Bumble Bees imported to the island for pollination purposes.
The pollination was to take place on crops of tomatoes under glass.  The local
beekeepers are convinced this is the source of their infestation and are
obviously angry at this apparent lack of thought and control.
        We point this out because it came to our attention in the Yorkshire
Post of July 4 th that colonies of Bumble Bees were being imported into
North Humberside; Beverley to be exact, for the very same purpose.  These
colonies originated from Holland, a country with a high incidence rate of
Varroa"

Has anyone out there know or has researched into the possibility of Varroa
travelling on wasps or other solitory bees?

Can the wasps or solitory bees support the Varroa reproductive life cycle?

Here in Ireland, we are, at the moment, varroa free but in concerns me
that Bumble Bees have been imported into South Ireland for pollination
purposes.

Philip Earle               BCG0311 @  V2.QUB.AC.UK        (JANET network)