From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1993 10:21:05 EST
> I'm curious if anyone out there is aware of a simple test to detect the
> presence of paraffin in beeswax.  I am looking for a method to do a
> quality control test on "100% beeswax" candles, to check for impurities,
> specifically paraffin.  Ideally, the test would be simple and inexpensive,
> and one that can be performed without extensive equipment (i.e. at home).
> It also should be quick to perform, as I would want to perform the test
> on numerous samples in a short period of time.

From experience I know that melted bee's wax is much hotter than melted
paraffin, although I don't know the exact temperatures.  It should be
simple to determine the temperature at which pure bee's wax melts.  Then
you could determine the melting point of your unknown samples.  If it's
other than that of pure bee's wax you know you have an adulterated sample.

Thinking further on this, I guess the test wouldn't tell you that the
adulterant is strictly paraffin, it could perhaps be some other substance
used to make candles, but it would tell you whether your samples are
pure bee's wax.  There may be better tests out there.

Aaron Morris
Albany, New York