From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:34:27 -0400
In a message dated 97-07-28 13:59:13 EDT, Faith Andrews Bedford writes:

<< I was undert the impression that any hive with AFB had to reported to a
state
 bee inspector, the bees killed and the hives either burned, scorched or
 treated in a "gas" chamber.  Am I wrong?  Is that info outddated? >>

   I've been told by state inspectors in more than one US state, that, if
they don't find foulbrood, they don't have to do anything.  I interpret that
as encouragement, at least for experienced beekeepers, to take care of their
own foulbrood.

   I'd be lying, if I said I'd never had foulbrood, but I can't recall ever
having an inspector find it, because I do take care of it, whether by burning
or treatment with TM.

   American foulbrood is not particularly infectious, as long as a hive is
strong enough to prevent robbers from entering. That also presumes that we
don't switch around contaminated frames.

   So finding some cells of foulbrood is not a call for panic. It just means
that appropriate and timely means must be taken to prevent the spread of the
infection.

   I am much more concerned, if I find a deadout with a lot of cappings on
the floor, evidence of being robbed out. The spores have already been spread
around.  That's a good reason for a prompt check of other bees in the area,
and a protective TM treatment before the disease has a chance to get
established.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green    Hemingway, SC  USA
Practical Pollination Tips:   http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html