Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:28:37 -0500
>> Has anyone here any data on the effects on wintering or spring performance
>of colonies repeatedly dosed with OA vapour?

>- only one application of oxalic acid in a bee's lifetime
>- no application when brood in the hive

Thanks, but I am looking for any reports of damage from the vapour, not the drizzle
or spray.

We hear quite a few reports that drizzle should only happen once in a bee's life, but
also hear from people who have drizzled several times with no apparent bad  effects.

I think Kirk mentioned that and also Randy.

I have never heard any reports that repeated vaporizations are harmful, but cannot
imagine that there would not be some harm to the bees with many, many applications.

That said, after evaporating, I have seen white bees in the hives, acting as if nothing
happened.  I know if I were covered with OA, I'd show some signs of discomfort, but
mostly be  uncomfortable in places where there is moisture on the body or where it
could enter my breathing or digestion.   Dry OA seems harmless on the skin, at least
in short-term contact, but when mixed with water, it will burn.  Humans have many
damp places on the body, but bees apparently do not.  They do have mouths and
spiracles that lead to internal areas with some moisture, I'd expect.

So, I am still waiting to hear that OA evaporation will affect wintering or other bee
performance adversely.  So far, I don't have any reports to that effect.

I'm not even hearing of much if any brood damage.