From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2014 07:28:52 -0800
>Ever heard of extinction? Most of the species that ever existed are gone.

Varroa caused the "extinction" of Apis mellifera on Santa Cruz Island, and
currently has nearly caused its extinction on the island of Bermuda.  The
evidence suggests that varroa/virus can cause the extinction of limited
populations of honey bees.  On the other hand, larger local populations in
may areas show evidence of adaptation and rebound.  Thus, I'm excited about
Jason's success with feral stock, but keep the larger picture in mind.

>But what I was asking for is some evidence that there is even such a thing
as "avirulent mites." None has been provided, only assurances.

I've done the math a number of times, and cannot see how avirulent mites
could possibly evolve so long as there is a pool of treated colonies out
there.  Even a single virulent mite introduced into any treated population
would be expected to rapidly outcompete any avirulent mites, since there
would be no selective pressure against its virulence.

>What did the wax moth do directly to the honey bee, and how did the honey
bee overcome this to change the relationship to what we have today?

I've pondered this one myself.  Joe, please correct me if I've
misinterpreted, but it appears to me that the honey bee was introduced into
North America free of wax moth.  I suspect that without selective pressure,
they "lost" their receptors for the scent of wax moth larvae.  When the wax
moth later invaded, it found a host that did not recognize its larvae as an
enemy, much as naive bees do not recognize varroa or SHB as enemies.  This
lack of defense would have allowed wax moth larvae to destroy a colony
unimpeded by the bees.

This would have applied strong selective pressure for those bee stocks that
were able to recognize wax moth larvae as enemies.  In short time, North
American bees all exhibited "moth resistance."

Does anyone have historical evidence that supports or disproves the above
hypothesis?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA