From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:10:14 -0500
Catching up on some threads and had to add a virulence comment.  Lower
virulence of many diseases (including some mentioned) is often dependent on
transmission method more than many other factors.  More virulent strains of
cholera are found in areas with poor sanitation, because it increases the
likelihood of their spread.  At least in the short term "bond type" methods
are likely to spread more virulent mites around rather than less virulent.
 Virulent mites cause colonies to collapse, which are more likely to robbed
out and spread the virulent mites.  Resistant forms of TB are generated by
improper use of antibiotics and failure to follow treatment regimens.
 Syphilis is less disfiguring because we treat it BEFORE it gets to the
later super nasty stages.  I'm fairly sure it's still pretty nasty
untreated, though I can't speak from any experience here.  Aids might be a
better example, but it's hard to tell if the virus is really less virulent
or if we are just controlling it better with antivirals.

If you wanted to follow the most effective roads to less virulence analogy
with diseases, it would be sanitation imo, not refusing treatments because
drugs might lead to resistance.  What does that look like in bees?
 Isolating/eliminating weak hives?  Treating hives with virulent mites
selectively (sounds like IPM to me).

Contemplating analogies and their limitations,
Jeremy
West Michigan