From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:22:19 +1100
On 31/01/2014 2:28 AM, randy oliver wrote:
>> Ever heard of extinction? Most of the species that ever existed are gone.
>
>> What did the wax moth do directly to the honey bee, and how did the honey
> bee overcome this to change the relationship to what we have today?
>
> I've pondered this one myself.  Joe, please correct me if I've
> misinterpreted, but it appears to me that the honey bee was introduced into
> North America free of wax moth.  I suspect that without selective pressure,
> they "lost" their receptors for the scent of wax moth larvae.  When the wax
> moth later invaded, it found a host that did not recognize its larvae as an
> enemy, much as naive bees do not recognize varroa or SHB as enemies.  This
> lack of defense would have allowed wax moth larvae to destroy a colony
> unimpeded by the bees.
>
> This would have applied strong selective pressure for those bee stocks that
> were able to recognize wax moth larvae as enemies.  In short time, North
> American bees all exhibited "moth resistance."
>
> Does anyone have historical evidence that supports or disproves the above
> hypothesis?

  I think it is generally accepted here in Oz that the British Black,
the first bees introduced,  were susceptible.  Perhaps because of the
above reasons, or that wax moth were rarely met in its home country.

Introduction of Italian stock made it a non issue for normal hives.
Trevor may have more.

Geoff Manning