From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 16:19:12 -0400
Randy writes:
> I also am very interested in
hearing reports from others about the success of ferals in their areas.
 However, why limit to "northern" areas?  Maine, for example, is already at
the far northern limit of suitable habitat for Apis mellifera, regardless of
varroa.
=====

Hi Randy,

Years ago I made a prediction that resistance in bee stock
would likely appear earlier in regions of the country which
*are prime bee habitat, *are distant from commercial
beekeeping operations, *have a feral population, and
*experience a moderate degree of winter.

Zones 5 and 6 on this map would be the area
I consider best fits this description:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/wildseed/info/6.1.html

The reason I have believed this is because in spite of
others experiences, "my experience" tells me  that varroa
and varroa related miladies DO contribute to the 'majority' of
winter losses in 'my northern climate', even though varroa
and related miladies often escape "official blame", either due
to misdiagnoses, OR the natural human tenancy to put a
good spin on things to protect ones bragging rights.

I have colonies that during winter; froze starved, isolated
starved, dwindled, succumbed to brood diseases, queen
failed etc.   All these mortalities can occur with or without
ANY obvious signs that varroa and related maladies contributed
to the failure, simply by reducing over all efficiency or adding
stresses to the colony.

Winter is a powerful tool which selects out less resistant colonies.
I have witnessed while assessing ferals that a mere 5 percent or
perhaps even less in colony performance can make the difference
between a keeper and a dud, or winter survival and winter failure.
Therefore, in northern climates, varroa related stresses which are
known to reduce the performance even to a small degree can
cause these less resistant colonies to be efficiently selected out
of the gene pool.

I limit this to northern areas with a moderate winter because,,,,
The south does not have the massive selective pressure caused
by winter, and the far north has too much winter selective pressure,
which hampers the ability of any feral colonies having limited
resistance to survive and gain a foot hold to build from.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FeralBeeProject/