From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:56:52 -0400
Aaron Morris wrote:

> > 2.  The other mentor says NEVER use Terramyacin.  If foul brood is present it
> > won't work and otherwise it weakens the bees resistance.  ???
> Ah, that one.  TM does work, it keeps AFB in check.  If it's not used the
> beekeeper must be able to quickly diagnose AFB and immediately tend to
> outbreaks by burning the equipment.  If on the other hand one chooses to use
> TM, you must continue regular treatments to keep any AFB that may be present
> under control.  TM does not cure AFB, never has, never will.

If you never use terramycin it is certain that you will have AFB.  Terramycin will
have absolutely no effect on the bees' resistance to AFB, but might cause
resistant strains of B. larvae to arise.  I disagree with Aaron's last statement
that TM does not cure AFB - it does.  It will not kill dormant spores, but will
kill the organism that arises from the spores and infects bee larvae, thus curing
the disease.  The result is that you will have living brood and a healthy colony
rather than dead brood and a dying colony.

On the other hand, if I were to notice such a dying colony, especially one that
showed lots of AFB scale, I would burn it rather than attempt to treat it.  Why
purposely keep around billions of spores in one's equipment, or allow robbing of
infected hives to spread them around?

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA