From:
Peter Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:01:11 +1300
>Glyn Davies wrote:
>
> has anyone devised a quick system of record keeping ....?

We have developed our own software for managing our beekeeping data
collection [for 4,000 hives] using Psion Organisers - relatively cheap,
robust (even for beekeepers) and with a reasobly simple programming language
OPL Organiser Programming Language - BASIC like).  Output of the collected
data files is into a comma delimited format, which can be picked up by a
spreadsheet or (in our case) a relational database.  I am happy for anyone
to have a look at our source code for these and use it as they may wish as I
don't have the time to support this. Currently we can answer up to 32
questions with mostly numeric answers but the source code could be altered
quite easlily to accommodate alphnumeric information.

The source code should be able to be used with some modifications on later
Psion equipment such as the Workabout and HC range.  I would consider the 3a
machines not robust enough for Beekeeping field work.

We also use Psion organizers for tracking drums of honey using barcodes.
This could be adapted to beehives/pallets but requires the development of a
ROBUST barcode that will stay permanently on the hive/pallets
Cheers
Peter Bray,
Airborne Honey Ltd., PO Box 28, Leeston, New Zealand
Fax 64-3-324-3236,  Phone 64-3-324-3569  [log in to unmask]