From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:42:47 -0400
> Not knowing the system you are emulating, your equipment, I would quite possibly steer you wrong.

I would be less circumspect. The use of standard sized foundation has never been shown in any credible way to be detrimental to the health of colonies. Rotating out old combs may have benefit, as varroa seem to prefer them. The culling of drone comb in general reduces surplus drones and increases honey production. There will always be some drones in any hive, no matter what you do to curtail them. Using standard foundation ensures sturdy uniform combs that will hold up well during hive manipulations, transport, and honey extraction. Using natural unwired combs is a giant step backwards and has no confirmed benefit, aside from the aesthetic value to the nature loving beekeeper. (Which is no small thing, of course!)

PLB