From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:34:12 -0400
The use of standard sized foundation has never been
hown in any credible way to be detrimental to the health of colonies.
There are no scientific data that I can cite, but, having, during the last couple of seasons, taken to cutting out old bred-in comb, leaving a 'footprint' of comb around the perimeter and letting the bees create natural comb of cell sizes of their own choosing to replace it, I note that the hives in which I have been doing this seem to be doing better than those whre I have not. This is my impression and is unquantifiable but I am encouraged to continue and increase the practice. Maybe somebody of a more scientific bent would like to do likewise with proper measurements and controls.

Chris