From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2016 10:00:52 -0500
You are choosing to dismiss the evidence and opinions of a large number of qualified beekeepers and bee researchers. Dr Spivak has been talking about this problem publicly for over a year, Dr Seeley has shown how isolated hives have much lower mite buildup than hives in apiaries, the list goes on.

Not at all,  I am not disregarding.   I am disputing for my area at least.  Marla is also convinced corn monocultures are ruining the world  I disagree. For thousands of years many thought the world was flat also.  Dr. Seeleys research is great,  helps us learn things  isolated hives are better.  No one would dispute that at all.  How many hives are within reasonable flying distance of yours?  For the majority of people that answer is mostly feral hives, and a low number.  I have no problem debating the point with Randy or Dennis, or others.  Show me the math.  Its super easy to stand up and blame those around you.  Doesn't make it right.  Common issues with beekeepers in my opinion.  I like to be different.  Solve my issues first.

The research in the paper you cite actually agrees (real research not speculation)  that a tiny percentage of the mites are actually transferred. Your own comment does not make sense when you stop and think.  "in aug I see mite levels spike"  Aug is the only month mites migrate?  Only in aug do other hives collapse?  All over the country??  And when they do collapse  all those mites suddenly realize they need to go to your hive??  Not the neighbors  but yours??   In Some cases such as Randy's hes spends a great deal of time complety surrounded by loaded hives  while the bes are still flying (no brood but foraging)  that’s actually a rare situation,  most of us don't winter in CA  and most of our hives are collapsing when there are no bees flying.  Not seen any mites trudging thue the snow to warmer places. How many collapses do you actually see in augest?  The answer in most areas is very tiny amount pollen is flowing like crazy,  yes hives are loaded with mites,  but there not collapsing in great numbers.  A bit of robbing may be increased  no doubt.

One of the real keys for me was  a season while I was trying TF,  I had hives with 25 mites surrounded by hives with zeros...  interesting picture.  Makes you doubt a lot of the common theories.

Charles