From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 09:46:31 -0500
    Here in Vermont, we seem to have a new honey. Actually I've made
some on both sides of lake Champlain. Let me start again. Here in the
Champlain Valley we seem to have a new honey. Dark in color, and strong
in taste. Reports of this "honey" have increasing in the last 2 or 3
years. The biggest change in agriculture here has been the increase of
corn acreage in the last 2 or 3 years. Hmmm... From corn??
    Here's something someone from Maine sent me recently. It' from The
American Bee Journal/February, 1936. Briefly...
    Alfred H Pering writes of an experience of his. First he quotes
Frank C. Pellet. "It's too bad that our Iowa cornfields don't yield
honey. The acreage would be sufficient to feed the world." No doubt! He
goes on to remember an experience of his as a boy.
    He was riding his bike through the cornfields in Indiada. He stopped
to get some shade beneath the corn. After some time, he noticed a
distinct popping sound. It reminded him of the saying - corn is growing
so well you can hear it. Finally he heard a pop, and saw the crack in
the corn that made the sound. Corn juice oozed from the crack. Bees
sucked up the juice as it dried.
    Could this be our mysterious honey?? Any ideas?? Could check for
pollen in the honey, but dont have the equipment needed.

Mike