From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 20:48:07 -0400
On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:08:26 +0200, Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>1.- Dark combs as stan said, is from cocoon and not from propolis.
>2.- Bees propolize the rim of the cell, but not much inside the cells

As much as I respect and admire Juanse's opinions, I believe here he is wrong. I don't know
that there is any evidence of the cocoons being brown and staining the combs. Just the
opposite is true: the combs, being brown, stain the cocoons. There is no reason to suppose
that bees which paint every square inch of the inside of the hive would then omit to also
paint the inside of the cells. Why would they not, especially if propolis is antiseptic? The
brood cells are the place where most bee disease forms, so here is where the propolis (if it
is antiseptic) is needed the most.

According to Eva Crane (1980), propolis is used on its own or mixed with wax to repair and
make waterproof the hive or nest cavity, to varnish the comb cells, and occasionally to
reduce the size of the entrance.