From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:15:27 -0400
Greetings

After the discussion of the non-use of propolis by Apis cerana,  I
began to wonder how useful it actually is to bees. Certainly, it does
not prevent illness altogether. In fact, we are being told now to
recycle combs after 3 years or so due to the buildup of pathogens.
These same combs are generally darkened -- by the painting of them
with propolis by the bees. So, the question is: does propolis really
help? If it does, we are pitching out propolized combs. If it doesn't,
then what about the propolis everywhere else? Is this a benefit, or is
it likely to be mixed with all the same pathogens as the combs and
everything else? What is the point of throwing out good combs, if the
rest of the hive is covered with all the same stuff? We know that
irradiating the whole hives is beneficial. One would have to study
clean new hives, versus old sticky ones, to determine whether a clean
environment is really better or not.

--
Peter Loring Borst
Ithaca, NY  USA