From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 07:27:44 -0700
Bob H. Writes:
>I realize the hypothesis Joe has presented is being
accepted but I still don't buy it! I hope to live long
enough to see the *SMR trait does not

Allen D. Writes:
> Dr. Harbo pointed out that SMR mites actually
> defecate in a different area of the cell than do
> non-SMR bees.
(SMR=HYG)=False

Hi Bob & Allen,

Harbo's on the boat, and he seems to be leaving
without you guys. ;>)
I have two 'expert opinions' from Harbo and Huang.

This just in from ARS, Oct 13, 2005,,,

"But with further investigation, Harbo and Harris have
found that their SMR bees aren't meddling with mite
reproduction after all. Instead, the bees are simply
exceptional housekeepers."

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2005/051013.htm

Dick, I fail to see the value of potty training varroa
to a 'specific area'. :>)
But,, if you want the answer, 'ask a mother'.
All good mothers know the answer to this one.

Any mother will tell you that 'they will do what ever
is necessary to give the youngsters the best chance at
survival', and this includes mother varroa pooping
outside the feeding area up along the sidewalls near
rim of the cell so as not to contaminate the food for
the kids.

Varroa mothers 'without kids' will defecate on the
food source(as reviewed by Zachary), because care of
the children is not a factor, and this is probably the
reason for this and not due to any SMR trait.

Zachary Huang
"The white defecation of a varroa mother mite on a
worker pupae (near the tip of abdomen). This is
usually a sign that the mite did not reproduce.
Reproducing mites defecate on cell walls, not on the
developing bee."

http://photo.bees.net/gallery/varroa

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
Small Cell Beekeeping