From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:40:40 -0400
>> Jims answer was: "Superior Marketing Rationale"!

Oh, now that's just freakin' great - I even get dragged
into arguments^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h discussions I did
not even know were in progress!

Allen evinced some very clear thinking, in pointing out:

> the mention of SMR in the piece in question does not
> seem to relate to actual SMR or Harbo's work, but rather
> [to] the posers who use currently exciting names, acronyms
> and hype for marketing stock...

Exactly.
Danke, Allen.

I was critiquing nothing other (and nothing more) than the
marketing of queens and packages by vendors who have yet to
have their products subjected to any sort of "crash test rating".

I do NOT want to be MISrepresented as presuming to speak for Harbo.
He is happy to directly reply to inquires from anyone who cares to
ask him questions, and he makes presentations at all the usual
meetings, so there is no need for me (or anyone else) to attempt to
summarize his work or paraphrase his views.

My personal view is that this photo, taken by Zack:
http://photo.bees.net/gallery/varroa/mite_poop
and the associated text is worth thinking about very very
slowly in regard to SMR itself.  Assuming that you reject
"action at a distance" in the macroscopic universe of
biological activity, it may be a big clue as to the extent
of the mechanisms in play.

                jim