From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:15:11 -0500
>I am not talking about bees with African genes somewhere in their ancestry.
>I am talking about real honest to god Africans like they have in Florida,
>Texas and Arizona. These sting the beejeesus out of people and are illegal
>in NYS.

I am a realist. Legislation & quarantines have never stopped mites, SHB or
for sure AHB.

Government would like for you to think they can legislate or write a check
and  bee problems are solved.

CCD is the perfect example of government solving problems with bees.

>The law simply states Africanized bees are prohibited.

Without enforcement laws are useless. At what level of AHB genes is each
drone banned?

I understand Petes position but find the position not very realistic.

>We have already discussed this on Bee-L.  We don't need a DNA test to tell
>them apart, if they act like African bees, they aren't welcome here.

let me understand the above?
If the bees act like African bees (possibly not be) then they need barred?

People are certainly entitled to their opinion. Perhaps you might share the
way you would enforce the law which bans AHB from New York?

>It's the same argument as pit bulls. The problem is not the genes, but the
>behavior. If these animals behave themselves, no problem.

Are you saying bringing  in AHB bees is ok as long as the bees behave. What
about the AHB drones. Those do not even posses a stinger.

I respect what Pete is saying but a difficult position for me to agree with
as not very realistic approach .

Has wondered from laws pertaining to bees with Africanized genetics to
simply bees which do not behave. Laws and enforcement I understand. *Are not
welcome* I have heard before.

In Florida there was a time when land owners cut ditches and other methods
to keep beekeepers from placing their bees because they thought we spread
citrus canker. unfounded fear is hard to justify.

> Keep 'em down south, we don't want 'em.

Could you post your GPS location? (kidding!}

bob