Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 09:09:19 -0400
7bit
From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Chris Konopka wrote:

> 1. It was the 5 frames on the left side of the box that the bees were
> working on, while none of the 5 on the right were being touched--will the
> bees move to these on their own, or could it be that they've only been
> working on the left ones because that is where we have the entrance feeder?
>
> 2.  We noticed cells filled with sugar water and cells filled with what
> appears to be the brown pollen substitute we gave them when we installed
> them, but we didn't notice anything looking like eggs or larva--was it just
> too early to look for these or is there a problem--or perhaps we didn't look
> carefully enough

1) This often happens.  I just readjust the colony so that the frames being
used are centered.

2) Young brood and eggs are small and may possibly be missed.  If you hold the
frame up to the light, you'll see what appears to be a drop of milk in the
bottom of the cells.  Upon closer inspection you'll see tiny curled larvae
lying in this medium, surrounded by cells having one tiny egg standing upright
in it (when the frame is held horizontally, of course).

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan, USA