Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 08:34:17 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Andy Nachbaur wrote:

>. . .as I don't believe any so called BS USDA Director should be
> shooting from the lip or hip to the public before the facts are in...
> Andy,

I have to agree with this sentiment, but the news papers often do not really give these guys much
choice.  For them to refuse to comment leaves the door wide open for all sorts of hogwash.

I have said before, and still hold to it, we need research and breeding done with the AHB to take
advantage of the positive potential they hold.  We all know the negative potential.

Plus, beekeepers all over the lower 48, should be using the "danger" of the killer bees as a lever to
get community encouragement for keeping "domesticated" bees.  I read on this list, frequently, that
we need to be less visible, etc.  On the contrary, beekeepers should become more visible.  Using
their experience with honeybees to act as a first line of defense.  Cities should revoke ordinances
limiting or outlawing beekeeping, and replace them with rules to encourage responsible beekeeping.
We have hade the AHB genes in the US since the late 40's (I think I have the time frame right, but
someone out there can correct that).  If we simply eliminate the overly aggresive hives leaving any
more docile colonies to reproduce we will come out ahead.  Stop thinking "eliminate AHB" and think
more along the lines of "eliminate all overly aggresive colonies.  Until someone begins breeding AHB
for mild temperament, that is the only hope.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Tom Elliott
Eagle River, Alaska
U.S.A.
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2