From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 21:52:21 -0700
Mike wrote:
>Is this paper supposed to be a conclusive statement?
No, it wasn't.
However, the way in which it was released lent itself to being
misrepresented by the press, and many beekeepers (I'm hearing the chatter
starting already among beeks who have heard about it, but haven't read it).

I spoke for some time today with lead author, Dr. Cox-Foster, and plied her
with questions.  You are absolutely right, this paper raises more questions
than it answers.  The complexity of the bee/multiple virus/double
nosema/mite/nutrition/immune response interactions is staggering!  There's a
ton of research yet to be done, data to be confirmed, and contrary data to
be reconciled.  I applaud the herculean efforts of those many researchers
who are putting in long hours on minimal budgets!

Randy Oliver