From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2018 16:07:36 -0500
So, when someone suggests a very high mortality rate, the most obvious explanation is that the chemical was applied incorrectly. The application of pesticides requires very accurate calculations; most of the severe failures are due to poor math skills and/or lack of adequate training.

One must read carefully the studies involved.

There are several studies of which even you have linked showing increased mortality during the winter,  And  That is what I also reported,  I made no claims otherwise, again,  nasty confining winter.  I also added the note that we suspected problems with winter bees development,  again,  also supported by other research.

I am a licensed applicator,  does that mean we did it perfect?  Nope  mistakes still get made.  But I also do this quite regularly with no ill effects  using the same application rates and mix.   Its not rocket science.

The explanation you provide is sideline guessing,  that is actually quite surprising given it also correlates with what several others have noted.  I fully understand Randys questions and points,  but with a short winter  I can see quite a variation in results.

Do you have any of your fall dribble experience to share,  or are you content to question my math and training??  I would love to hear from others with long winters who have done a OCT dribble and were happy with the results. In the mean time,  for use  its off the table,  and back to strictly vapors every 4 days if brood is present.

I love OA,  simple and effective,  but a lot of data and real word experience shows it can be a bit sensitive in dribble form,  the line between effective and dangerous is closer than one would like, making it easy to OD a hive, compared to vapors which it appears about impossible to damage a hive.

Charles