From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2018 17:56:55 +0200

> Do you have any of your fall dribble experience to share,  or are you
> content to question my math and training??  I would love to hear from
> others with long winters who have done a OCT dribble and were happy
> with the results.

I live in Finland and we have looong winters. This winter has been
typical with last flights in early November 2016 and we still have 40 cm
of snow and -18 C today.  First flight will come sometime in April  so
about 5 months with any flying other than dying bees going out, if the
hives are not totally under snow. For me this is normal and there has
been many longer winters, longest without bees flying this far about 6,5
-7  months

For about 15 years I have treated all my hives ( now 1500) with OA
dribbling in November / December or January. As late as possible, but
trying to do it without having to dig the hives from snow for treatment.
  We have about 55 000 hives total  in Finland and more than 90% are done
the same way.  4 ml of OA /  seam full of bees in Langstroth box. max 40
ml / single 50 ml/ strong double.  OA liquid is is done by mixing  75 g
OA + 1kg sugar + 1 l water.

If there would be serious problems for bees from the OA treatment we
would not do it. Some do sublimation and it is coming more popular. But
it needs special equipment + protective gear, and results are not much
better.  Question is more if beekeeper wants to pen the hive = dribbling
or not = sublimation. I like to open so we see the hives with too little
bees or food. We treat those too but put them in car and later to indoor
wintering.

One thing about  OA dribbling. I also believe that it is harder to bees
than sublimation. A beekeeping friend kept a very fine scale hive for
years. Food consumption always become higher right  after dribbling and
stayed on higher rate until spring compared to other hives. Sorry he did
not compare to sublimation, only to non treated.

Ari Seppälä
Finland