From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2016 01:15:45 +0000
Peter said:
Most antibiotics are being outlawed for use on bees in the US.

This outlawed action for antibiotics use is an international action to develop a policy for antimicrobial use in animal husbandry including bees. Thus they can manage resistance development in bacteria/ super bug.

This policy is to outlaw the prophylactic use of antibiotics. It will allow the use of antibiotics only by prescription for therapeutic use.

In Canada at this time we are also involved with our veterinarians in developing our own policy for antimicrobial use in animals including bees.

And by the way believe it or not, the policy does not apply to Fumagillin. The drug veterinary agency / administration - Canada and FDA-USA are not considering fumagillin as  an antibiotic but is a fungicide.

I have never undermined the side effects that could be caused by antibiotics. Whenever I read the info sheet handed by the pharmacist when I have prescribed antibiotic, it scares the $&&$@ out of me. However there is a reason to use it and follow directions.

Medhat Nasr

Alberta Canada