From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:49:44 -0600
>Randy said:
 When left to their own devices (no human transport), the species colonize
> their respective natural ranges.

Beekeepers in South Africa actually have  success  keeping capensis hives .
With a
capensis queen heading the hive with strong pheromones laying workers are
kept in check.
In their natural ranges capensis is used for honey production & pollination.

The bees in *pure* form are easily told apart by color to beekeepers in
South Africa but wing venation or DNA is what researchers use.

In the U.S. AHB can be all colors.

In South Africa most scutellata Barry said fit Lepeletier (1836) & DuPraw
"A.m. scutellata is a small bee with scarce pilosity, variable pigmentation
on the abdomen (one or more yellow bands) mostly a bright yellow scutellum
on the thorax and a characteristic wing venation " (H.& H.B. 92 ed.)

A.m.capensis being a dark bee

The problem is when capensis invades scutellata and other races and the
invading *workers* take over and after a time the hives becomes so
overwhelmed with laying workers the hive crashes.

Commercial beekeepers were worried with the arrival of AHB capensis might
have survived since the Kerr release as shown by this old paper posted by
Nebraska beekeepers.

http://nebraskabeekeepers.org/thelytoky.htm

I found a time period when Barry came on the list and shared his knowledge
of African races. October of 2001. Barry was from Kyalami, South Africa.

Barry raised , bred (I believe used instrumental insemination) European
queens to sell. Barry had a website back then with a picture of a hive
outside his door.

I could not find his old website. I remember he spelled his last name
unusual.

Lloyd I found posts 10 years ago of you asking questions of Barry. What do
you remember?

Lloyd & I were on the Irish Beekeeping list together back then.

bob

"What will be changed in my teachings with the passing of time cannot be
known"

Miyamoto Musashi  1584-1645

/ "The Book of Five Rings"