From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2014 12:28:11 -0500
How does Patent law work into this equation? When the registrants receive a
patent, aren't most trade secrets disclosed for that product? Why would lab
and field research data be any different.
I am not an attorney and may be wrong in this understanding of patent law.
Anyone here know how this works?

Most of my patents are Mechanical,  but I Have several and can help.
Patents can cover a wide area,  and not all details or formulations need be
disclosed.

For example you could request a patent for soap, as a product made up of
various chemicals to allow water to be wetter and thereby lifting dirt
better.  Without ever really disclosing how its done.  sometimes that helps
make the cover more broad,  say someone cant come in with a slight tweak to
your recipe and call it different.
And sometimes it works against you.....

Another real example, I have one for the cleaning doors on a combine.  Its
worded as a lightweight plastic cover over the threshing system the doesn't
require separate seals.   It mentions plastic, but not what types or how its
processed.  The goal is to keep the competition from copying a good and cost
effective design.  We could change and tweak it a lot without violating our
patent,  but in theory no one else can make a one piece door from plastic
without seals.   And in fact that what was done.   The other guys made a
multi piece unit with secondary seals.  Good,  but not as good.......oh wait
sorry got of track....

Generally you try to keep patents as open and non specific as possible so
you can tweak your own product without opening doors and get better
coverage.

Charles