From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2017 23:07:12 -0000
I dipped all my brood boxes, supers and floors over 30 years ago.

I used paraffin wax - but note that there are different grades with different melting points - you need the highest melting point.

I used an old galvanised water tank 2' square to hold the wax, put it up on concrete blocks and lit a fire under it using anthracite and the blow end of a cylinder vacuum cleaner to provide a draught - rather like a blacksmith's forge!

I was surprised just how much heat was required to get the wax up to temperature - you need about 310ºF at which point the wax will have some blue smoke rising from it.  I had a lid ready to put on the tank if it caught fire, but although it did once or twice, because it was only half full and the air supply was therefore limited there were just a few flames flickering over the surface; I guess that a full tank would have produced a serious fire.

The process is like frying chips.  Have the woodenware as dry as possible, then submerge in the wax for around a minute or two.  Then remove it and let it drain.  You need heavy duty rubber gloves to protect your hands.

If you have the temperature right then the water will boil out of the wood and after draining the wood will have absorbed the wax and look dry.  It will also feel lighter - wax weighs less than water.  If the temperature is too low then you will just coat your boxes in wax.

Most of those boxes are still in use and the rain still runs off them.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W