From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2013 22:48:00 -0400
>the debate here about almonds is pure verticical thinking and, to
those of us not in the US, rather boring.  This is a problem of your own
making and bears little relevance to beekeeping in the rest of the world
(and there is quite a lot of world outside the US - believe it or not).

I agree.

U.S. commercial migratory beekeeping other than almonds from my own experience point of view:

 In the U.S. because of the land mass beekeeping is very different in many areas. Almonds is simply only one pollination.
Although the largest bee pollination possibly in the world still only one on many commercial migratory stops.

If you refer to the National Geographic article on migratory beekeeping *available at most libraries* the movement of migratory beekeepers in the U.S. is outlined. (vol. 183 No 5 pg.77 U.S. Beekeepers :Hives for hire May 1993)

Each of the areas outlined has its own set of problems. I am fortunate enough to have personal experience in all the areas but the extreme Northeast. When at meetings I have met very few beekeepers which have actually kept bees in more than a couple areas. Adding California to many outfits has been a challenge.

Kind of like juggling. Each time you add another ball juggling becomes harder.

If you look at the map on page 77 of the article you see Texas is the hot spot for the migratory beekeepers spring.
The map today would most likely show 3-500,000 hives migrating from California to the Gulf Coast after almonds to rebuild before heading north.

I would add to what Medhat said about moving to honey production in the upper Midwest that the south is in between. Texas first with my friends. Too cold in the honey producing area when hives are sent from almonds.

Commercial beekeepers coming out of almonds are mostly done by now in Texas. management and splits done. Now verifying queens and loading trucks north. Current problem is a honey flow in Texas and snow on ground in upper Midwest or worse mud and flooding. I might explain in another post.

Flooding expected this week on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers north of St Louis , Missouri Very early for flooding in those areas as snow melt is only starting.

Today I would say the entire Gulf coast is used by beekeepers. I have spent time in beekeeping areas of the south in January  the last 13 years.

Florida cities are not as welcome to out of state beekeepers  Locations have dried up in many areas. Still quite a few beekeepers over winter in Florida. Not like Texas.

 Most beekeepers can't get out of California fast enough after almonds.

Knowledge of areas to overwinter or  move to in spring is passed down from generation of beekeepers to generation.

A general rule if if you decide to winter in an area and there are not other beekeepers staying at the same motel or eating at the same restaurant in the morning you are in the wrong area.

The most common information I am asked about by other beekeepers is "What is beekeeping like in Texas or Florida?"

After the conversation I add:
"Now you know everything I can share in a hour long conversation about those areas"

bob