Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2013 04:34:47 -0700
>>>   The map today would most likely show 3-500,000 hives migrating from California to the Gulf Coast .....     Today I would say the entire Gulf coast is used by beekeepers.

That is not true of Alabama.  Migratory beekeepers do not recover from Almonds in Alabama.  For good or bad that is a fact.  If there are migratory beekeepers settling their bees in Alabama to recover from almonds they are breaking Alabama state law and could face a very hefty fine if discovered.   Does the law help the beekeepers in Alabama?  I don't know for sure.  Certainly none of the beekeepers here participate in the Almond pollination.  But, also, it seems that Alabama bees are among the healthiest bees to be found in the nation.  Is that due to the anti-migratory law?  Anecdotal would seem to indicate that to be the case.

Mike in LA  (Lower Alabama)