From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:00:14 -0700
>      For the past 10 years I have been adding iodized table salt to the
>      spring TM dust mixture and pollen substitute fed to hives in
>      March-April.  The reason has nothing to do with what I was taught,
>      read or science.  Rather, the "logic" pertained to nuisance
>      complaints I have received over the years from the public regarding
>      honey bee behavior and perceived agressive behavior...

This has turned out to be an interesting thread, and this (above) post in
particular has got me wondering.  That's partly because I've decided to
get a handle on this pollen patty thing once and for all.  I've been
digging up nutrient profiles for various ingredients and giving the *Hive
and the Honeybee* article in chapter six a very careful re-read.

I'd appreciate it if those who share my interest in bee nutrition would
visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Misc/Pollen.htm and email me their
observations, arguments and contributions.  I already have input from all
around the world and am adding things as they come in and as I get around
to it.   I'll link to any other good sources, and also post any worthwhile
(IMO) contributions with attribution to author.  I'm still at the
beginning of learning about this, but there is progress...

originally, Jerry asked about iodine, and so far we are hearing about
salt.  The quoted post mentions sea salt, not just salt.  Maybe it is the
iodine and other minerals involved in sea salt that is a factor?  I've
heard that there is, for example rather large amount of gold dissolved in
each cubic mile of seawater:  enough to retire nicely on -- if one could
only manage to extract it.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand.  The *Hive and the Honeybee* mentions
that wesson's salt mixture is not optimized for honeybees.  Another post
mentions the amount of common salt used by bees.  The pieces are coming
together...

I did try adding cattle mineral salt mixture to syrup one year after
reading an inspirational article by another beekeeper, but on sober second
thought, I discontinued the practice, since I did not know what levels of
what constituents might be toxic, or even how to detect subtle toxic
effects if they ocurred.

My one concern about the way many are providing salt is that the amount of
salt required by bees seems to be somewhat narrowly defined in that too
little is a problem.  Too much is also a problem.

By including it as an ingredient in something like syrup or pollen
supplement, do we not tie the consumption of a minor item that needs to be
eaten in limited amounts to essential foods that should be consumed in
maximum amounts?

Should salt(s) not be offered as a free choice?  Somehow?

I wonder.

Allen

"If I make a living off it, that's great--but I come from a culture
where you're valued not so much by what you acquire but by what you
give away," -- Larry Wall (the inventor of Perl)