From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 20:39:18 -0400
Hi,

We use fume boards exclusively in our operation (Calif).  We use Bee-Go
(Butyric anhydride I think).  Just sprinkle it onto (an ounce maybe) the
absorbing surface of your board being sure to spread it well over the entire
surface.  Give a light puff of smoke across the top bars of the super you
want in order that the bees will begin to go down into the box (not too much
that they get confused), as they leave set the board on top.  The fumes will
continue to chase them out and if they are started out with the smoke they
tend to keep going without stopping and it will be quicker.  It really only
takes a few seconds for mediums (10 -30).  If you're worried about the
exposure of the chemical to your honey use it judiciously and quickly.  If
you have a few (10-20) to do don't use the boards just pull frames like
Richard suggested.  One big drawback to repellants is that the chemical
(Bee-Go) smells like vomit and will stay on your clothes and skin for at
least 3 days.  Honey Robber is a brand that has the scent of cherries added
to it but just smells like vomit with a weak cherry scent after a while.
 Only really cold weather affects its use (55 and below F) it should be fine
during the summer season.  I hope you have a good relationship with your
spouse or friends, this scent will make you a little less desirable for a
short time.  Also avoid the fumes if you can it will irritate the eyes.
Hope this helps!

Brian Tassey