From:
Kevin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2014 15:13:49 -0500
>>Charlie, I haven't found any treatments yet on the market that are effective against viruses.  For those two viruses, the best course of action is to get mite levels down asap.

>Supplemental protein may help greatly if natural pollen is in short supply.

>Keep an eye on N ceranae, as it often explodes once viruses get a headway.

If this were an isolated colony out of a yard that most of the others were doing much better I would consider that colony as one not demonstrating sufficient tolerance to mites.  (assuming that colony received the same treatments and nutritional opportunities as the other colonies in the yard).

A different approach would be to make the sick colony queenless, then broodless, then rid the hive of mites with an effective treatment, and finally requeen from stock that has shown better tolerance.

If they colony has already dwindled and there are only aged foragers remaining I would consider moving them away from the yard, shaking the bees out, and returning the equipment to the freezer for a few nights to free up the comb for reuse.

If the problem was widespread in a yard it would be more feasible to proceed with them all as Randy has recommended, and look to see if there needs to be improvements made in stock, nutrition, and/or treatment effectiveness.