From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2014 09:58:04 -0500
A different approach would be to make the sick colony queenless, then
broodless, then rid the hive of mites with an effective treatment, and
finally requeen from stock that has shown better tolerance.

Thanks for the thoughts.  There is much to consider here.  The hives tested
were 3rd year hives which had not been treated for anything ever.  That was
at the suggestion of the bee inspector, and seemed like a good idea.
Now the reason for that was I just recently got back into beekeeping (around
2005) after a long hiatus.  I made the foolish mistake of listening to some
of the Chemical free guys..... Local bees don't you know  that's the
answer...

But I digress.  Those hives did not survive this last winter.  I was in the
middle of a test of queens Local vs southern, vs hygenic) and didn't want to
mess up 2 years worth of information (I should say data but not ready to
call it that)..

That trial is OVER.. not going back for a long time.  So currently treating
as needed.   Over the last several years I have always had some hives boom
and some shrink.  Been trying to get a handle on it.  knowledge wise.
Usually the symptoms are exactly what Randys "sick bees 2" describes...
either failure to thrive or this year a lot of quick collapsing.  This
season its been chilled brood.  I made the mistake this year of splitting
some packages (since they were on drawn comb)  and got hit hard by a cold
snap of over a week.....  all my overwintered hives but one have done fine.

My quandary is where to head.  I just got this info and have not had a ton
of time to research it.  so far I have not figured out if its one that's
constantly present and just reared its head,  or if its contagious.

Typically I move the hives (150 or so) into the home yard in late fall for
winter feeding, and then back out in the early spring.  Easier to feed and
observe during the winter when they are 50 yards from the house.  Pondering
that.  As well as possibly starting up "clean yards" in the spring.....

Will starting to control mites keep it in check?  How do you test for it?
the list of questions is a bit long......  and troubling at the moment.
Kind of hit me like a shock... was not expecting that in the report.