Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:44:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
I read  posts under the heading  "Does this path have a heart?"
and have gone back and forth about whether to add something- here I go.
There were a few who lauded the effects of hallucinogenics as a path to "improve " your life.

The following is by A E Wilder-Smith:

Aldous Huxley....brought to the notice of a wider public how he, following the example of some Orientals, obtained  his "altered state of consciousness" by means of psychedelic drugs. Such experiences are just what the younger generation had been looking for -as indeed  Huxley himself admits- starved as they have been of transcendent joy by having known little but the rat-race run by their fathers and mothers before them. Their purely materialistic upbringing in homes, schools, and universities had taken care of this for generations....Huxley's experiences undoubtedly helped to touch off the psychedelic drug epidemic in the West......
 The younger generation, being the heir of the older generation, is of course,deprived too. It's science has robbed it of any belief in the transcendent or divine at all.  (from "The Cause and Cure of the Drug Epidemic")

A theme that seemed to be implied in the discussion was that transcendence equaled myth or delusion. Now I have learned more truth from good myth (like Lord of the Rings) than bad history.  I do believe that unseen "realities" exist that are not merely pleasant delusions, but touch history in a real way, and are not the result of an overactive imagination, but realities recognized by willing eyes.  Believe you me, recognizing many of  these things is not because you are after the title "Miss Popularity".

As I have stated before it is a simple fact that many (really most) of the founders of the modern scientific disciplines were Christians, or at least creationists, believing that, in many instances, they were "thinking God's thoughts after Him."  This is one of the facts of history that has been disfigured beneath the steely ax of political correctness.

I might as well say it, I got started in beekeeping because I was walking across my yard and  God said "Call _  _ (my neighbor) and get some honeybees."  I did and we did. I was not thinking about honeybees at the time nor do I recall ever thinking about keeping them before.  I had no idea I would be doing it for a living later.
There is no close second to the joy I have felt in any other profession - as I told a  reporter, at times it has felt almost "illegal".  I can relate to others' comments about the joy derived from these fascinating little critters.  In spite of my many mistakes and missteps, it has been to some measure a success...It has enabled both my wife and I to live a life that in some aspects has has been living out a dream.  (Not to say we have been trouble free)
I am aware that this is not totally about honeybees but as the topic was broached and my entrance into beekeeping was initiated by a means not subject to testing by the scientific method, I mention it.
John Horton
N Alabama

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2