From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2018 09:36:59 -0400
Randy>The math indicates that only a portion of the mites were killed in the
first 24 hrs.

My thought exactly.  The last colony that I have data on that dropped a high number after 24hrs was a highly infested colony back in 2013 that I treated with 1/2 dose of MAQS. At the time I was trying to figure out if Martin's multipliers were working in my yards. I started with an average three-day natural drop then calculated the total population according to Martin's formula. In this case, the three-day average was 25.3 and by using Martin's multiplier for August which is 30, the estimated population should have been around 760. I applied 1/2 dose of formic on 22-Aug and started a drop count for the next four days cleaning the board each day after the count. As you can see, after just four days, the population was close to double the prediction and I'm certain an accelerated drop continued for a week or more. So, as a rough comparison, my recent 605 mite drop after an OAV treatment is most likely short of representing the total population by a large factor. I put the drop board back in so I'll try to keep counting.

Date 2013
23-Aug	    850
24-Aug	    253
25-Aug	    221