From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 06:57:16 -0600
Thanks for the report, Dennis.  We're all interested in following the
results of the various trials going on.  I realise that there are many
small special interest lists these days for various topics, but most of us
don't have time to read them all and we appreciate when anyone posts a
synopsis to BEE-L.

A lot of the special interest groups have a high level of background
chatter and a there is lot of reading to do before any real information is
found, but they are interesting communities and some do have the time to
spend there.  I tend to spend some time reading them in the winter, but in
the summer, time is short and I stick to BEE-L.   From those who do spend
the time to read these other lists, we would love to get a summary monthly
or so.

In reading through your note, I was wondering a number of things and
perhaps you could expand a bit?

> I had seen colonies on large cell comb collapse long before this
stage....
> Lost about 40% of my small cell colonies throughout  the winter.

Are you running any or are all your hives on small cell?  How small?  How
many hives went into winter?

> I have not seen a single varroa mite on a bee or on drone brood this
spring.

Are you using any mite treatments?

> considering the very cold, nasty spring weather we have had.

Where do you live?

Thanks

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/