From:
"Scott E. Brooks" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 00:47:26 -0500
I have two colonies of bees recently split off existing healthy, productive hives.  Since setting up these new hives about a month ago, we have either had one hive swarm without the queen, or another swarm has invaded that hive.  The truth of what happened may never be determined.  We still have the marked queen that was introduced into the hive at the time of the split.  But we have been seeing (and removing) a lot of queen cups and even fully capped queen cells.  Some of them have been of the supercedure type up in the middle of the comb and some of them have been of the swarm type down at the bottom of the frame.  We have given this hive another "Illinois" sized box of foundation to pull (under the excluder) which they have pulled at what was at first an alarming rate to me (a beginning beekeeper).  Last night  about 11:00 as I came home from work, I noticed a small swarm-looking cluster of bees, about the size of a baseball hanging from the front of the bottom board.  I took a stick and raked them off.  They were very "clingy" but as I shook them off the stick, they dispersed.  No queen was in the cluster.  Tonight as I came home I observed the same thing, only now both hives were involved.  Has anyone else observed this kind of behavior?  Is this a prelude to a Swarm?  Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Scott E. Brooks