From:
"Scott E. Brooks" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 22:38:36 -0500
Hello Allen and all,

Allen Wrote:

> I have heard of such parent
> lines that barely sustain themselves through a season, yet which add
> something to the first cross which makes the cross very successful.  The
> offspring of such hybrids are seldom much good.  If they are, it is only a
> matter of luck.

Let me first say that I am not a geneticist.  I do have some limited
understanding of breeding/hybridization in other species.  It is very common
for the first cross of two purebred animals to produce an offspring (or
litter of them) whose performance excells that of their parents.  This is
commonly called "hybrid vigor."  Your observation as to the quality of the
second cross, the mating of those hybrids, is absolutely correct also.  An
example:  when mating a Yorkshire hog (white) with a Hampshire (black with a
white belt), the common result is called a "blue butt" which is white with a
bluish patch on the rump, often with a mask also.  But breed two "blue
butts" together and the result is likely to be some who look like
Hampshires, some who look like Yorkshires, and some who look like the parent
Blue Butts.  This is only color.  other characteristics will be just as
varied and may not necessarily attach themselves to the color.  I.e. the
second cross pig who looks like a Hampshire may not act nor grow out like a
hampshire.  Or try saving some seed from your favorite hybrid sweet corn and
planting it the next year.  The variety of corn plants resulting from those
seeds from one plant will surprise you.  I see no reason why these
observations should not hold true for bees.  In fact, considering the number
of drones with which a queen must mate for good fertilization, the problem
should be multiplied dramatically.  When using hybrid bees, the best course
would seem to be the same as in planting hybrid vegetables in the yearly
garden:  always by new seed because the old seed will not reproduce true.

For what its worth,

Scott E. Brooks
Broken Bow, Oklahoma, USA