From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2017 09:24:40 -0400
On 7-Sep-17, at 7:32 AM, Peter Borst wrote:

> When I first started keeping bees in Upstate NY I was very surprised
> by the phenomenon of late swarming. The swarms I have seen are not
> small, but full sized swarms. These usually occur if there is a
> heavy goldenrod flow.

Hi Pete & All

I find here, that many years the goldenrod flow is very heavy,
especially in mid to late September when I have had scale hives
increase over 20 pounds per day for a week or more.  The Provincial
Apiarist has, for years, recommended removing honey supers in late
August in order to treat for varroa.  It is not surprising to me that
hives swarm, during this flow, with every possible cell packed with
incoming nectar and no honey supers available.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W