Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:15:01 EST
Hi ALL READERS,
I Always say TOO much, and many think I should keep my mouth SHUT; but in this
case I can't to it.

Inspection is of VITAL importance, not so much as AFB is found and HOPEFULLY
destroyed, but the great majority of inspectors are very talented beekeepers
that
are daily aware of the ever changing beekeeping picture.  These inspectors
are the
FIRST LINE of Outreach and Education of so many new beekeepers and indeed,
even
some of the Stubborn "good old guys" who are still trying to keep bees like
"Daddy
kept bees" 40-50 years ago.

Daddy did NOT have mites, SHB, antibiotic treatments, "killer bees", SMR
queens,
HYGIENIC queens, pheromone knowledge, or plastic foundation; all of which we
have today.

The new beeHAVERS are buying packages, setting them out in April, watching
them work from 50 feet away, and expecting honey running out of the front
entrance by Labor Day.  TOO EMBARRASSED to ask for help from a MASTER
BEEKEEPER
or too cheap to buy a NEW BOOK (written in the past 10 years so it covers
today's
problems) and if buying one, too lazy to read it, that bee INSPECTOR is the
first
one that he can consult with and respect because the state has seen fit to
pay this
person based on his beekeeping knowledge.

All those people truly interested in beekeeping should do all we can to save
bee
inspection programs, even if YOU ARE MAD AT ME, because of my BLUNTNESS.

George Imirie, Retired Scientist
Certified EAS Master Beekeeper
Beginning my 72nd year of beekeeping near Washington DC
Author of George's PINK PAGES found monthly on the Internet
Author of American Beekeeping Federation Hobbyist Tips
Past President of Maryland State Beekeepers