From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2017 08:16:24 -0500
On 17-Dec-17, at 2:57 PM, Peter Borst wrote:

> The Asian giant honeybee Apis dorsata forms massive single-comb
> colonies which usually hang from a tree branch or the eaves of
> buildings. Although colonies regularly migrate over many kilometres,
> we find that they often return to their original nest site — even
> after an absence of up to two years. How the bees do this is
> unknown, as workers live for only a few weeks.

Hi Pete & All

Your post on Dorsata brought to mind a question i get several times a
year from customers of my honey.  Brampton Ontario, near us, has
become home to many immigrants from the Indian subcontinent.  The
question they ask me is:  "Is your honey from the large bee or the
small bee?"  I tell them that my bees are not Asian but European and
ask them how the honey from the different bees is different.  I assume
that the 3 species are not found in the same areas or visit different
plants making the honey different but have not been able to get an
answer.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada