From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 06:57:45 -0600
<In a high end spinner/spinfloat (continuous type that does not rely on
screen, perforated drum or baskets of cappings), do the pollen grains tend
to end up in the honey or wax output?

>My hope is that virtually all of the pollen grains exit with the honey.

 I would take a few samples and check under a microscope. My guess is the
pollen is in the honey and only based on talking to large packers . To
remove all the pollen from honey they need to heat in the area of 180F.
(necessary to move the honey rapidly through small micron filters . The
ones I have observed have been around five feet long with many filter plates
inside. I have seen these filters in tandem.

To my knowledge pollen removal (all pollen) takes heat & a pressure filter.

In support of a very old practice with packers which sell millions of
gallons of honey from all over the world.

1. the label says pure honey not *pure honey with pollen*.

2. shelf life is important to packers and most consumers. Pasteurized and
pressure filtered produces such a product.

3.legal issues concerning pollen. People exist which are allergic to pollen.
pollen is *not* on the label.

Packers will say the amount of pollen in honey is usually very small. You
can buy the pollen in health food stores and take all you want.

Like GMO pollen in honey its kind of a nit pic thing for many beekeepers.

Removing pollen by pressure filtering is commonplace with store honey. If
people want raw honey they need to shop a health food store or local
beekeeper at a farmers market. Raw honey can be found in certain large chain
stores (for now).

The packers in the U.S. are powerful enough with the resources to lobby for
all honey sold processed as they process.

The health food industry (which I have sold to for decades) is not powerful
enough to force packers to stop pressure filtering and pasteurizing honey.
 those wanting to sell raw honey were able to stop the FDA from
putting a all honey pasteurized  rule into place awhile back. Many
beekeepers like myself
appealed to the large packers and they dropped the issue for now.

Packers watch stores shelves (all stores) and when a new honey is placed on
a store shelf the packer is in the first thing the packer does is call the
health department to inspect the beekeeper.

important:
The health department *has to* check into all complaints. *if* the
beekeepers operation does not pass then the beekeepers honey is pulled until
meets regulations for a food approved kitchen. Most store buyers are slow to
let a beekeeper back in once the health department has shut the operation
down until problems have been corrected.

If you are a small beekeeper planning on selling *in stores* you need to get
health department permits first.

note:
The above is based on states I have sold honey in. Rules are similar but
differ from state to state.

The milk industry crushed the raw milk industry in Missouri. Not even sold
by handing directly to the consumer in area farmers markets. Still sold off
farms .

I would hate to see all honey sold had to be pressurized and possibly
pressure filtered.

bob