From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 07:22:19 -0600
On Sat, 1 Apr 1995, Eric Abell wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Apr 1995, Dave Green, Eastern Pollinator Newsletter wrote:
>
> > Dear Bee-L'ers:
> >
> >    We arrived back from our Florida bees last week to South Carolina, to find
> > swarms galore.  The season is about a week early, and I am about a week later
> > than I had wanted to be.  Dewberries are in full bloom.
>
> Nice to hear of your adventures and thanks for indicating the area you
> are in.  I appeal to everyone to indicate their location - it makes for
> much more interesting reading.
>
> Here in northern Alberta my bees are still wrapped up.  I was going to
> start unwrapping next week (early for me) but the forecast calls for
> below freezing at night so I may wait awhile yet.

A little south of Eric (150 miles), we are getting calls about bees
around buildings and in chop bins, so I am off to unwrap some hives.
Should probably have done so a week or two back to head this off a bit.

While they are wrapped, they break cluster sooner and tend to fly
around and make a nuisance of themselves and dwindle.  Unwrapped, they
tend to sit on the brood more and conserve their energy.

No willows or trees yet.  It's been dry -- and cool too, until the last
week, and everything is a little late.  Nothing for the bees to do except
snoop.  Should have put out some beepro or soyflour, I guess, but it is
expensive and a hassle.

But then bees in neighbours yards is bad PR.

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Virtual Art Gallery: http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka