From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 1995 23:25:55 -0700
On Sat, 1 Apr 1995, Dave Green, Eastern Pollinator Newsletter wrote:

> [...]
> idea of swarming, it is almost impossible to stop them.  Some hobbyists with
> lots of time cut out the cells, but you are apt to miss just one, and it's
> likely to be a little tiny one that makes a lousy queen.
>
>    So the only practical way to save our livestock from running off into the
> woods is to help them do what they wanted to do - reproduce.
>
>    We're just about out of nuc boxes, and are running out of comb, so we are
> trying an old trick that might be useful to others as well.  We have A LOT of
> old junk deeps (with corners rotted off, etc.)  We bust up the swarmy bees
> into 3-5 nucs.  Each nuc is placed along one side of a deep box (2-4 frames).
> We don't look for queens once cells have formed, just making sure each nuc
> has at least one cell.  Frames with cells are handled gently, and never
> turned upside down, as the queens can be damaged if their wings are in

Nice to hear of your adventures and thanks for indicating the area you
are in.  I appeal to everyone to indicate their location - it makes for
much more interesting reading.

Here in northern Alberta my bees are still wrapped up.  I was going to
start unwrapping next week (early for me) but the forecast calls for
below freezing at night so I may wait awhile yet.

Eric