From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 21:44:47 EDT
In a message dated 5/3/00 4:04:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Here's the quote from the article, dated April 14th:
>     "Last summer, Westchester was one of several suburban counties that
chose
>  a different pesticide, sumithrin, sold under the trade name Anvil, for its
>  attack on mosquitoes."
>     Using resource links at Dave Green's pollination page, I was unable to
>  locate any information about sumithrin, and only one reference, in a list,
>  a produce called Anvil. However, the pesticide in Anvil in that reference
> was
>  said to be hexaconazole. I searched on the Extension Toxicology Network (UC
>  Davis), and the CDMS label/MSDS information search engine.
>     Can anybody help me out figuring out what sumithrin or Anvil is, and
>  whether it is toxic to honeybees?

     It is a widely used (by mosquito applicators) synthetic pyrethroid. The
selling point is rapid breakdown, so I assume it's not residual enough to be
a hazard to bees -- IF SPRAYED WHEN THEY ARE NOT FORAGING.  I have been
unable to get a copy of the label. The EPA fact sheet #234 on sumithrin seems
to have been withdrawn, so perhaps changes are imminant...

    There are two formulations  Anvil 2+2 ULV, and Anvil 10+10 ULV.

    I'll continue to try to get a label.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page:   http://pollinator.com