From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:35:21 EST
In a message dated 2/4/00 7:20:58 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I think it will be valuable for many people  other than  Western
 Australians
  http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/programs/dairy/robmanning/index.htm

 There are many great photo'sand information about many sources of
 honey and pollen >>

   Rob Manning is a real go getter. He has certainly advanced the cause of
managed pollination in Australia.  You can find links to Rob's material and
many other valuable pollination resources at the Pollination Home Page.

   Growers are now planning their season in the Northern Hemisphere and they
may be looking for pollinators.  Is your listing in the pollination page yet?
 We have been promoting this as a resource for growers, and soon will be
promoting it more heavily. Almond pollination season is very close, and
listings for this purpose must be made very soon.  Last spring several
growers and beekeepers were matched through the listing of beekeepers who do
pollination service. If your grower found you thru last year's listing,
please let me know.

    All you have to do to get listed (it's free!) is to send me the
appropriate info. Check to current listings to get the format. We've been
averaging three new listings per week so far this year.   I've been getting a
couple hundred e-mails a day, so if you don't get a response, try again. I'll
give you a private address for future use.

    I've been getting reports of severe losses in the northeastern US.  How
are you guys doing?  I do some writing for growers, and I'd like to pass
along status reports, so please let me know what's going on.  It looks iffy
in the southeast. We have had an extremely mild fall and early winter, with a
lot of consumption. Right now everything I have needs feed, and I can't get
to most of them, because winter suddenly turned severe. We've had the most
snow in a decade, and it was water laden, followed by a lot more rain, so
everything is very soggy. I've made a management decision not to sell nucs
this year, as I think I need to build up my operation a bit. There is no
money in empty equipment setting around, even if honey prices are low.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page
http://pollinator.com