From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 09:55:24 -0400
>Are you talking about stored supers? Are you
>saying that you don't have trouble with wax moths in your stored combs,
>except if they had brood in them?

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying/thinking.  I assumed that that was
an almost universally accepted truth, and that basically every commercial
beekeeper at least knew that that was an option.  Was I mistaken in that
assumption?  (To be technically precise, the only two exceptions I can
think to make is if honey combs are stored together with former brood
combs, then the honey combs may go down with the brood combs, and if
there's pollen in the honey combs, they may be susceptible then, too.)  I
generally store my supers (dry, not sticky) stacked up tight in a storage
building that stays pretty much at outdoor temperatures (here in the North
Carolina foothills) from mid-August to late April.  Some surplus supers
have been stored the same way year round.  I do separate out frames with
very much pollen in them.  I've really never had any trouble at all doing
things this way.  I know other sideline and full-time beekeepers that do
the same.  It seemed to me like a pretty wide-spread and well accepted
practice.

Eric