From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:52:58 +0000
> What are the mental tricks old beekeepers use to find queens?

Well, I'm not that old but here goes.  First, learn where to expect to find the
queen and where not.  If you pull a frame that is solid honey or honey and
pollen, put it back.  It's doubtful you'll find the queen on such a frame.
Likewise, it is unlikely you will find your queen on frames of capped brood.
You are most likely to find your queen on frames that have work worthy of a
queen.  What is a queen's purpose in the hive?  To LAY EGGS!  You are most
likely to find the queen upon frames where she can lay.  If you pull a frame
with newly laid eggs you're gettin' pretty darn close or you have in your hand
the frame with the queen.  Examine that frame closely!  If you're in an area of
the brood nest where there is no work for the queen to do, you don't need to
examine closely there because the queen is most likely elsewhere.  Now, this
assumes that you have gotten into the brood nest with little disruption (little
smoke, gently frame pulling, not a lot of banging around).  If on the other
hand you burst your way into the brood chamber like a bull in a china shop you
are not likely to find the queen anyway.

One of the videos from Brushy Mountain(?), I believe it was "Making Splits"
demonstrated the presenter's (Steve Forrest?) skill at finding the queen.  He
could often times tell which frame held the queen by assessing bees' "between
the frames" activity.  He would make this assessment prior to pulling any
frames at all.  It was amazing to see him assess and pull the queen on his
first attempt, three out of four times!

So if you're trying to find the queen, do so with finess.  Ease your way into
the brood nest, minimize disruption, know when to examine and when to just put
the frame back and move on.  And realize that even then there are some times
when the queen simply elude you.

And obviously, a marked queen is easier to spot than one that is not marked.
And yes, reading lots of "Where's Waldo" books DOES help ;)

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!